The Baron and Baroness are the ceremonial heads of the barony, and are the King and Queen's representatives within the group, as well as the barony's representatives to the rest of the Kingdom and the SCA.
Welcome from the Baron and Baroness
Unto the people of Skraeling Althing do We send warmest greetings.
It is with great pride that We, Baron Shahid and Baroness Catherine, welcome you to the Barony of Skraeling Althing, in the Eastern reaches of the Kingdom of Ealdormere. Whether your interests lie within the various arts and sciences that enhance Our medieval atmosphere, the martial activities that keep the borders of Our lands secure, or in the camaraderie of friendships formed around a campfire, We would invite you to explore the many events and activities held throughout Our lands.
For newcomers, We recommend you contact Our Chatelaine, who will help you get started. For those who have been with us for longer, We encourage you to share your experience with others.
On behalf of the Barony of Skraeling Althing, please come and enjoy our hospitality.
Yours in Service,
Shahid and Catherine
Baron and Baroness of Skraeling Althing
Visit the Skraeling Althing Baronial Blog
Taxes: Join the The Great Baronial Bead Challenge!
~ Download the booklet (PDF)
His Excellency is a 16th century Ottoman Turk. Her Excellency is 16th century English.
The Baron and/or Baroness are planning to attend the following events and would love to see the populace of Skraeling Althing there:
- February 28: Practicum
- March 7: A&S East Kingdom Championship and BIA (East Kingdom)
- April 11: Ealdormere Kingdom A&S (tentative)
- April 18: Break the Back of Winter
- April 25: Spring Coronation
- May 2: Septentria Baronial Investiture
- May 15-18: Fruits of Our Labours (tentative)
- June 6: Pikeman's Pleasure
- June 11-14: Murder Melee
- July 1-5: Trillium War
We have assembled a retinue of people to help Us better meet the needs of the barony. You may approach any of them with questions about Our progress or other matters pertaining to Our tenure.
The Honourable Lady Eluned verch Angor
The waiting gentlewoman (most people use the term lady-in-waiting) is directly responsible for the care and feeding of the Baroness both in and out of Court, and coordinates volunteers for the Baroness’ entourage. If you would like to volunteer as entourage for Their Excellencies please contact Lady Eluned.
Lady Avelyn Wexcombe of Great Bedwyn
The Chamberlain undertakes special projects for Their Excellencies, as well as generally assists in other matters before the court, as needed.
Lord Edward of Flaming Skye
The Kiaya is the Ottoman title for steward or lieutenant. The Kiaya is directly responsible for the care and feeding of the Baron both in and out of court, on and off the battlefield, and coordinates volunteers for the Baron’s entourage.
The baronial guard is responsible for the personal safety of the Baron and Baroness at events. They are also often called upon to assist with any heavy lifting. For those interested in joining the baronial guard, please contact one or more of the following individuals to volunteer: Baron Shahid, Lord James Edgarson, Lord Ulric the Lawless or Lord Michael of Easterbrook.
Champions of the Barony
- Great Chalice of Skraeling Althing: Lord John Moran
- Armoured Combat Champion: Lord Laurenz Tonnemacher
- Rapier Champion: Gunnar
- Archery Champion: Lord Geoffrey the Pretty
- Thrown Weapons: Marrigan Venaticus Sagittaria
- Youth Combat: Nicolai and Christoph Leeman
- Service is the cornerstone of the SCA. Without it, nothing else that we do would be possible. We would have Our Champions, as representatives of Our Barony, be known for their service as well as their prowess.
- We request that all martial champions begin work to become an authorized marshal in their chosen discipline, if they are not one already.
- We request that all non-martial champions serve their community by organizing A&S activities or teaching.
- We welcome and appreciate the donation of appropriate items for use as largesse. Our artisans often work long hours in the privacy of their homes and We wish to recognize their talents. Therefore, we request that all handmade largesse items be tagged with your name and home branch. Not only will this allow Us to ensure that you are thanked your generous contributions, but gives Us the opportunity share your renown with the rest of the Kingdom.